Being a Music Major

5:08 PM

For this week's Music Monday I wanted to switch it up a little bit. I haven't really had too much time to sit and write blog posts, but I went home for the weekend so I wanted to write some stuff up for this week.

I wanted to talk about what it's like to be a music major. If you don't already know, I'm a Music Industry Studies major at Cal Poly Pomona; I just started 3 weeks ago. From my experience thus far, It's incredibly awesome. Let me begin with saying I love being a music major so much. It's awesome being one of the 270 (or so) music majors at a school with over 23,000 students. My major alone has around 60 people in it, making it a very small, tight knit group, and I love it. It's almost like it's exclusive or something.. it's truly awesome.

I wanted to share a little about the classes I'm taking and my experience in them so far. Now, It's only been 3 weeks of classes (and I have class 3x a week), however, I can already say I've had a good time.

Check out the rest of the post by clicking the "Read More" link!

Careers in Music
I've gotta say this is my favorite class so far. Sure, the time of the class is a downside, (they only offered one of these classes and it was a night class) but the stuff we cover surpasses that. I'm actually really enjoying the book we're reading for the class - I even read it in my spare time leisurely. We get to discuss the careers I can venture into once I receive my degree, and really, that's what I'm in college for. The professor is awesome, straight forward, and will really open your eyes to so many things. It gets me excited because I feel like I get to learn so much and experience so much ahead of time. I also get to meet a bunch of people are interested in the field I plan on entering. A huge project that I get to do is set up an interview with a professional already in the music industry and ask them about their journey, etc., then write a paper about it, and quite honestly, it's a lot of work, but I'm certainly looking forward to it. For people interested in the same field I'm entering, this class is definitely the perfect class to take.


Piano

Piano is basically what you probably think it is - a piano class. It's like taking lessons, just not as private/one-on-one. I am a pianist, but, I am learning all the special techniques and certain ways to classically play and I enjoy that very much. Honestly, it's so much fun!


Music Theory
Music Theory is by far my most difficult class (even more than my math class). Growing up, I never really received professional training or really took too many music classes (other than orchestra in middle school) so I have small knowledge of music theory. I just understand the basics, really. That being said, this class is difficult because it's essentially learning a new language - music. It takes up a lot of my time out of class to really get these things down (it's a lot of memorization), however, I really appreciate it and I'm so glad to be able to improve as a musician.

I do have a math class I'm also taking, but I wanted to focus this post on my music class, considering it's a Music Monday post. It's only been a few weeks so I'm hoping that I'll continue to enjoy the rest of this quarter. That's it for this week's Music Monday, I hope you enjoyed the read!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.

Ad

Follow me on Instagram